Dark Days Week 6: Slow Cooker Chicken and Celery Root
Here it is, the 6th week of the Dark Days Challenge. Or maybe the 7th week…there seems to be some confusion. It’s a lot of weeks though, and I’ve been having fun. It’s a challenge to find interesting, locally sourced ingredients. First, they’re just hard to find. Second, my work schedule doesn’t leave me with a whole lot of hours in the week to go on the hunt. But somehow that’s making it more fun.
I feel like I’ve been cheating a bit. I have so much venison in my freezer that finding my weekly meat source is a piece of cake. So I’ve decided in the new year to venture away from all venison all the time. That and the chickens at the McLean Organic Butcher are fantastic. And so, the star of my local meal this week is a chicken. And a lovely celery root. And some mushrooms. Along with the first lettuce harvest from my winter garden.
Cooking on week nights hardly ever works for me, mostly because of the hours I work. This year I’m also resolving to make more slow cooker meals. So I spent some time the other day looking for 10-hour slow cooker recipes. They’re somewhat hard to find. But I did learn that my 4-lb chicken would work well over that length of time. So at 6:00 a.m. this morning I sliced up my celery root, spiced up my chicken, and put it on to roast. I came home to a fall-off-the-bone tender chicken. I riced the celery root, sautéd some mushrooms, and made a dressing with my locally made ramp vinegar. Dinner was on the table 10 minutes after I walked in the door. Beautiful.
So now I offer you, a non-venison, almost 100% locally grown and/or sourced dinner.
Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken and Mashed Celery Root
Summary: 10 hours for the perfectly roasted chicken
- 1 4-lb chicken
- 1 celery root bulb
- All-purpose seasoning blend (I used Nick’s)
- black truffle butter
- 4 oz mixed mushroom blend
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Put three balls of aluminum foil in the slow cooker. This helps keep the chicken out of the juices while cooking.
- Slice the skin off the celery root, and slice into large chunks. Place on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Rub the chicken with the all purpose seasoning and put four or five dabs of truffle butter on the chicken.
- Place the chicken, breast side down, in the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on low and go to work (or whatever you’re doing). Let the chicken cook for 8 to 10 hours (it will be done at 8, and just getting more and more tender the longer it cooks).
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Heat about 1/4 of the chicken broth in a skillet. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine to the skillet and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced.
- Put the celery root in a ricer and mash. If you don’t have a ricer, mash with a potato masher.
- Add 2 teaspoons of truffle butter and mix well.
- Salt to taste.
- Ramp Dressing: 1/4 cup organic olive oil, 1/4 cup ramp vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 hour(s)
Diet tags: High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Copyright © Susan Rose.