DDC week 16: Venison Con Queso and Chips
Nothing says “Happy St. Patrick’s Day” like queso and chips! 😉 Well, perhaps that isn’t quite true. But few things say “my tummy is about to be really happy” like queso and chips.
My dark days challenge meal this week was a little different because I was doing a cooking demonstration at the Maple Avenue Market. It wasn’t really a prepare the whole dinner kind of thing. I needed to make something that filled two requirements: I could use only ingredients found in the market (plus my venison) to make it and I had to be able to cook it in a pot or saute pan. That limited my choices a bit.
I settled on venison con queso, one of my favorite appetizers. You can see the original version of venison con queso on my GreatVenisonCooking site. I adapted it a bit for this because the Market doesn’t have any peppers this time of year. So, I found some jalapeno cheddar cheese that I thought would do nicely. That along with heavy cream, Brigg’s Chipotle Seasoning, onion and garlic, and I had a locally sourced Mexican meal. And, the Market sells Nana’s Cocina tortilla chips, which are made just about 10 miles from my home. Sweet!
This was my first cooking class at the Market, and it was small…only three people showed up for it (plus several others who came in to buy milk and tasted my dip for fun). I was actually glad it was small…I have some kinks to work out before I do it again. And I will do it again. As I begin my schooling to become a health coach (via the Institute for Integrative Nutrition), I’ll be doing more classes and workshops. It’s really fun! I’ll post them here as they come up.
A note about the picture: I completely forgot to take my camera to the class. The picture here is actually the version I make with roasted peppers instead of a pepper cheese. It tastes the same, and this is pretty much what this one looked like.
Recipe: Venison con Queso
Summary: spicy, cheesy, meaty goodness
- 1/2 lb ground venison (can substitute beef or turkey)
- 1 TBS chipotle seasoning
- 1 TBS cooking oil
- 1/2 small sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated jalapeno cheddar (or jalapeno jack) cheese
- In a medium skillet, brown the meat with the chipotle seasoning. When browned, remove from skillet and set aside.
- While the meat is browning, dice the onions finely and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in the skillet. Add the onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cream.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the browned venison and stir.
- Remove to a mini crock pot or other dish that holds heat well.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
It’s easy to double or triple this recipe. As shown here, it’s a nice appetizer for four people.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Copyright © Susan Rose.